VJ Movement (VJM) strives to abide by the highest standards of journalistic ethics and excellence. We do not publish material that falls short of the following principles, nor do we work with contributors who violate this code of ethics.
We ask contributors to report with accuracy, fairness, honesty and transparency:
- Pursue comprehensive, accurate, careful and balanced reporting and interpretation of the facts within context.
- Present information in clear, precise language.
- Use first-hand sources wherever possible.
- Clearly cite sources and verify their claims and allegations, stating whenever verification is not possible.
- Avoid unfounded speculation.
- Avoid sources that knowingly or recklessly provide false information.
- Validate the authenticity of all footage.
- Strive to represent accurately, thoroughly, and without bias all perspectives on an issue.
- Treat sources and the public with decency.
- Strive to minimize harm.
- Take every possible effort to allow an individual that is the subject of negative assertions in a story to respond to those assertions.
- Translate language to accurately and clearly convey the meaning of a person's speech, and accurately translate the words of a public figure. Honor the boundary between pursuit of the story and an individual's right to privacy.
- Act responsibly when interviewing children under 18 years old and editing those interviews.
- Distinguish between fact and opinion.
- Do not plagiarize or otherwise deceive by presenting the works of others as our own. Attribute all facts originally reported by another organization.
- Do not edit information in ways that distorts its meaning.
- Avoid real or perceived conflicts of interest that could compromise credibility, and disclose any unavoidable conflicts of interest.
- Grant anonymity to sources only in rare, individual instances where to do otherwise would place them at grave risk.
- Maintain independence and do not allow subjects or third parties to edit stories before publication or otherwise censor reports.
- Do not deceive in the pursuit of information, nor use our positions as VJ Movement staff or contributors to make inquiries that fall outside the boundaries of The VJ Movement work.
- Admit mistakes and act in a timely manner to both correct them and prevent them from happening again.
- Publish self-profiles that reveal relevant information about the journalist's background and motivations for reporting stories.
VJ Movement works with a worldwide network of independent journalists. While VJM staff and contributors make every effort to follow the principles of this code, if you suspect one or more unreported ethical violations, please email email@example.com.